Effective Date: August 1, 2013
By using our online sites, products, and services (collectively, the “Service”), you agree that we may collect personally identifiable information (as defined below). We will not share your personally identifiable information except as described herein.
- Types of Information We Collect
- How We Collect Your Information
- Use of Your Information by Linden Lab
- Sharing Your Information with Other Companies
- Your Controls and Choices
- Children's Privacy
- Data Transfers, Storage and Processing Globally
- Comments and Questions
1. Types of Information We Collect
We collect two basic types of information – personal information and anonymous information – and we may use personal and anonymous information to create a third type of information, aggregate information. Personal Information means information that identifies (whether directly or indirectly) a particular individual, such as the individual’s first and last name, postal address, e-mail address and/or telephone number. Anonymous Information means information that does not directly or indirectly identify, and cannot reasonably be used to identify, an individual (including an individual’s computing device). Aggregate Information means information about groups or categories of individuals which does not identify and cannot reasonably be used to identify an individual. We may share Aggregate and Anonymous Information with other parties without restriction.
We collect the following categories of information:
- Registration information you provide when you create an account, which may include your first name and surname, country of residence, gender, date of birth, e-mail address, username and password.
- Transaction information you provide when you request information or purchase a product or service from us, whether on our sites or through our applications, including your postal address, telephone number and payment information. If you conduct transactions (for instance, on Second Life’s LindeX), we may collect and retain some or all of the information related to these transactions, including transaction amount(s), parties involved, time and manner of exchange, and other transaction circumstances.
- Information you provide in public forums on our Service. Please note that our sites and applications may offer chat, forums, community environments (including multiplayer gameplay) or other tools that do not have a restricted audience. If you provide Personal Information when you use any of these features, that Personal Information may be publicly posted and otherwise disclosed without limitation as to its use by us or by a third party. We have no obligation to keep private personally identifiable information that you have made available to other users or the public using these functions. To request removal of your Personal Information from a public forum on one of our sites or applications, please contact Customer Support.
- Information sent either one-to-one or within a limited group using our message, chat, post or similar functionality, where we are permitted by law to collect this information.
- Information you provide to us when you use our sites and applications, our applications on third-party sites or platforms (such as social networking sites), or link your profile from a third-party site or platform to your registered account.
- Location information when you visit our sites or use our applications, including location information either provided by a mobile device interacting with one of our sites or applications, or associated with your IP address, where we are permitted by law to process this information.
- Usage, viewing and technical data, including your device identifier or IP address, when you visit our sites, use our applications on third-party sites or platforms, or open e-mails that we send.
Additionally there are a few special circumstances to note:
- Intellectual Property Claim Notices: If you notify us of an intellectual property claim, the information in your claim notice may be shared with other parties to the disagreement or third parties in our discretion and as required by law.
- Beta Service User: If you volunteer to serve as a beta participant for our pre-commercial content, we may track bug reports and individual system performance in an effort to test our technology rigorously before it is deployed.
- Former Customer: If you discontinue your use of our Service, we may keep your registration file in our database for use in the event that you elect to renew your use of our Service, as well as for anti-fraud and other such protective measures.
2. How We Collect Your Information
We collect information you provide to us when you request products, services or information from us, register with us, participate in public forums or other activities on our sites and applications, respond to customer inquiries or surveys, or otherwise interact with us.
- We acquire information from other trusted sources to update or supplement the information you provided or we collected automatically. Local law may require that you authorize the third party to share your information with us before we can acquire it.
3. Use of Your Information by Linden Lab
Linden Research, Inc. (itself or in the capacity of a data processor for Linden Research UK, Ltd.)(collectively, “Linden Lab”) will be the data controller for your information. Linden Lab may have access to your information where it performs services on behalf of the data controller(s)(as a data processor) and, unless prohibited under applicable law, for use on its own behalf (as a data controller) for the following purposes:
- Provide you with the products and services you request
- Communicate with you about your account or transactions with us and send you information about features on our sites and applications or changes to our policies
- Consistent with local law and choices and controls that may be available to you:
- Send you offers and promotions for our products and services or, as permitted, third-party products and services
- Personalize content and experiences on our sites and applications
- Provide you with advertising based on your activity on our sites and applications and on third-party sites and applications.
- Optimize or improve our products, services and operations
- Detect, investigate and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
Except under certain limited circumstances as set forth here and in our Terms of Service, Linden Lab does not disclose to third parties the Personal Information or other account-related information that you provide to us without your permission. You understand, however, that Linden Lab may disclose your Personal Information or other account-related information under the following circumstances:
- If we believe in good faith that such disclosure is necessary under applicable law, or to comply with legal process served on Linden Lab;
- In order to protect and defend the rights or interests of Linden Lab, its products and services, and/or the other users of such products and services;
- In order to report to law enforcement authorities, or assist in their investigation of suspected illegal or wrongful activity, or to report any instance in which we believe a person may be in danger;
- To service providers with whom we have contracted to assist us with the features or operations (such as anti-fraud functions, billing, collections, registration, customer support, e-mail delivery, age verification, or Second Life’s LindeX operations), to fulfill your service requests, offer new content or help us improve our products and/or services. Our contracts with these third parties prohibit them from using any of your Personal Information for purposes unrelated to the product or services they are providing;
- To other third parties (a) to provide you with services you have requested, (b) to offer you information about our products or services (e.g. events or features), or (c) to whom you explicitly ask us to send your information (or about whom you are otherwise explicitly notified and consent to when using a specific service). For instance, we may provide certain information to our payment processor, to credit card associations, banks or issuers (if you are using a credit card), to PayPal (if you are using a PayPal account), or to providers of other services you request. If you choose to use these third parties’ products or services, then their use of your information is governed by their privacy policies. You should evaluate the practices of third party providers before deciding to use their services; and
- To other business entities, should we plan to merge with or be acquired by that business entity.
4. Sharing Your Information with Other Companies
We will not share your Personal Information outside of Linden Lab except in limited circumstances, including:
- When you allow us to share your Personal Information with another company, such as:
- Directing us to share your Personal Information with third-party sites or platforms, such as social networking sites
- Please note that once we share your Personal Information with another company, the information received by the other company becomes subject to the other company’s privacy practices.
- When companies perform services on our behalf; however, these companies are prohibited from using your Personal Information for purposes other than those requested by us or required by law.
- When we share Personal Information with third parties in connection with the sale of a business, to enforce our Terms of Service or rules, to ensure the safety and security of our users and third parties, to comply with legal process or in other cases if we believe in good faith that disclosure is required by law.
5. Your Controls and Choices
We provide you with the ability to exercise certain controls and choices regarding our collection, use and sharing of your information. In accordance with local law, your controls and choices may include:
- You may correct, update and/or delete your account registration
- You may change your choices for subscriptions, newsletters and alerts
- You may choose whether to receive offers and promotions from us for our products and services, or products and services that we think may be of interest to you
- You may choose whether to share your Personal Information with other companies so they can send you offers and promotions about their products and services
- You may choose whether to receive targeted advertising from many ad networks, data exchanges, marketing analytics and other service providers by following the directions set forth above in Section 2
- You may request access to the Personal Information we hold about you and that we amend or delete it and we request third parties with whom we have shared such information to do the same
You may exercise your controls and choices, or request access to your Personal Information, by modifying your selections at http://lindenmktg.p0.com/resubscribe.jsp, following instructions provided in communications we send to you, or sending correspondence regarding the publications or services you no longer wish to receive from us to the following address:
Attention: Opt-Out Administrator
945 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
Please be aware that if you do not allow us to collect Personal Information from you, we may not be able to deliver certain products and services to you, and some of our services may not be able to take account of your interests and preferences.
6. Children’s Privacy
We recognize the need to provide further privacy protections with respect to Personal Information that we may collect from children on our sites and applications. Some of the features on our sites and applications are not directed towards children, and we do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children in connection with those features. When we direct certain sites, products or services toward children and intend to collect Personal Information from children, we take additional steps to protect their privacy, including:
- Notifying parents (including guardians) about our information practices with regard to children, including the types of Personal Information we may collect from children, the uses to which we may put that information, and whether and with whom we may share that information;
- In accordance with applicable law, obtaining parental consent for the collection, disclosure or use of Personal Information from their children, or for sending information about our products and services directly to their children;
- Limiting our collection of Personal Information from children to no more than is reasonably necessary to participate in an online activity; and
- Giving parents access or the ability to request access to Personal Information we have collected from their children and the ability to request that such Personal Information be changed or deleted. At any time a parent may request that we cease to collect further Personal Information from their child or request that any Personal Information that we have collected be changed or deleted from our records, in accordance with applicable law, by sending an e-mail to our Customer Support team.
In some instances, certain portions of our Service may allow children to submit Personal Information (such as their name and/or the child’s or his or her parent’s e-mail address) without first obtaining their parent’s consent. For example, we may collect online contact information from a child for the purpose of:
- Obtaining parental consent and/or providing the child’s parent with any information regarding their child’s use of our Service, as required by law;
- Responding directly to a specific request from the child on a one-time basis (for instance, in response to a customer support inquiry);
- Responding directly more than once to a specific request from the child (for instance, to receive a newsletter or in-game communication from us), provided that in such case (i) we will use reasonable efforts to notify the child’s parent (e.g. via e-mail) of such ongoing communications with the child promptly after our initial response to the child and before making any subsequent responses to the child, and (ii) the child’s parent shall have the right to refuse further contact with the child and require the deletion of Personal Information about or collected from the child by contacting our Customer Support team;
- Protecting the safety of a child participant on our Service, provided that we have used reasonable efforts to provide notice to the child’s parent (e.g. via e-mail). If the parent fails to respond to such notice, we may use such online contact information for the purpose stated therein; and
- Protecting the security or integrity of our Service, to take precautions against liability, to respond to judicial process or to the extent permitted under other provisions of applicable laws, to provide information to law enforcement agencies or for an investigation on a matter related to public safety, to the extent reasonably necessary to do so.
Parents are encouraged to spend time online with their children and to become familiar with the types of content available through our Service and on the Internet in general. Parents should regularly oversee their child’s use of e-mail and other online communications and transactional features. Control tools are available from online services and software manufacturers that can help to provide a safe online environment for children. If your child has used your credit card in connection with our Service without your permission, please contact our Customer Support team immediately.
7. Data Transfers, Storage and Processing Globally
9. Comments and Questions
945 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
Notice to California Residents: